[pianotech] Stringing Case

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 15:28:24 MDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>wrote:

>   Good evening,
>
> I am ready to upgrade my current stringing case to something better.  The
> one I have now I purchased at home depot.  I carry all the sizes of plain
> wire and tools in it.  I have been unhappy with it since I got it, but has
> gotten me by.
>
> I would love to purchase a well designed case that has been proven as a
> sufficient case to carry strings and tools.
>
> I tried searching the archives, but all the results I got was mostly string
> leveling.
>
> What I would also like to do once I get a suitable case, is purchase a
> smaller pouch to keep inside the main case.  The pouch would contain all
> tools necessary for bass string replacement.  So if duty calls, I can just
> grab the pouch instead of carrying the big string case inside.
>
> I am curious as to what has been all your experiences with the stringing
> cases you use, and where to purchase them.
>
> Thank you much,
> Matthew

I have a case similar to Conrad's, I used to use it for my toolcase.
It's like a brifcase only aluminum clad with bumpers on all four corners. If
you've ever seen a movie or TV show where the bad guys are handing over the
money  for a drug buy in a case, it looks kind of like that. I originally
got mine at Sam's Club.
As for a pouch for tools, I bought some pouchs about the size of bank
bags(like stores use for night deposits) at Walmart for under $3 a piece. I
keep my hammer shank replacement tools in one, my repinning tools in another
and my string replacement tools in a 3rd. Only the specialty tools,
obviously, I still have my screwdrivers, glue and pliers in my regular
case.
When I have to rplace a string, shank or center pin I can run out to my
vehicle and grap the appropriate bag out of my backup bag without having to
rummage around. Good idea in Wisconsin winters!

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404