[pianotech] Collection Agencies

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 15:15:17 MDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>wrote:

>   The recent topic regarding manufacturer payments has reminded me of
> something I have been wanting to throw at everyone.
>
> Has anyone ever had the sheer pleasure of turning in a non-paying client to
> collections?  Is this even possible in our line of work?  What kind of legal
> grounds would one need?  I have each of my clients, or whoever is there,
> sign the invoice when my work is complete, showing that I have completed the
> work to their satisfaction.
>
> I know to some of you, dealing with a collection agency may not be at all
> worth it financially to you, as I am sure you would be lucky to recover 30%
> of your invoice amount.  However, it's just the point that if someone did
> try to intentionally stiff you of your services, collections would at least
> leave a mark on their credit, which I feel would be better than just walking
> away.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
> Matthew

I was called about 5 years ago to tune a square grand for a
resturaunt/supper club. They were having a group play there that weekend and
needed it tuned for them. I told them I didn't tune squares, they said that
was what everyone else said and they would pay me double and begged me to
reconsider.
I showed up at noon to find a rebuilt 72 note, no-name square with a missing
lyre and 3 broken hammer shanks. I pulled the action repaired the broken
shanks, smaller than standard shanks today had to use my shank reducer and a
smaller drill bit to approximate size.
Tuned it(oh my aching back) and billed them for an hours labor and the
tuning. I kept billing every month for 6 months adding 1.5% interest per
month. Calling periodically, the owner was never available.
I had ascertained, when I was there and asked about the missing lyre, that
it didn't belong to them, it belonged to the brewery they were leasing the
building from.
On the 7th month anniversary I included a letter outlining my intentions to
go to small claims court and ask the judge for payment or in lieu of same a
lien against the piano.
I received a  call to pick up my check 3 days later!

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404