[pianotech] Finger Cymbal Sounds Answer

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:33:39 MDT 2009

Ron O and others,

Thanks for the suggestions regarding the other options and the rebuild needs for this piano.  The concert is actually to try to raise money for a new Steinway D.  So I don't know where the money would come from for a rebuild.

Anyway, regarding muting the duplex.  I am going to listen for a weak sustain for my own learning ears.  The reason muting is necessary is I think the pianist would find the sound disturbing when he played.  For me this is much more important than the sustain as long as it is not so pronounced to be offensive.  I play pretty well and it bothers me.

By the way it is a C7B.

Regarding the profs ears....He is 28.

Also the glue on the string thing instead of a mute I might try because it will look better and I don't have time to get the other part suggested.

In reality, I am just trying to make this piano sound and play as well as possible.  The prof is happy and if the pianist on Sunday is happy and the audience is pleased then my job is done.  I must say I am happy because the results are good much in part to the things I have learned and studied from PTG seminars and conventions and the priceless nature of this list.

Many Thanks,

Steven Hopp