[pianotech] sticking key

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 18:07:46 MDT 2009

Ed:

                The key is helped to return by the weight of the damper.  If
you hold it up with the damper pedal, it can't return as readily.  There is
some friction somewhere that is not apparent unless you press the pedal.
You have just discovered a way to check for friction when you have a sticky
key- press the pedal.  This is how you isolate the problem.  Remove the
action and inspect the hammer flanges.  Lift the hammers and see if the
sticky note's hammer is slow.  Check the wippen flange.  Try to see anything
different about the action in that note.  Usually, something tells you right
away what the problem is.

                Good luck.

                Paul McCloud

                San Diego