[pianotech] squeeky knuckles

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 19 22:32:49 MDT 2009

Steven Hopp wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am working to remove the squeeks from very smooth knuckles.  I am
> using a brush to rough up the leather and then some teflon powder.  This
> should do the trick.
>
> My question is - how long should my client expect this fix to last
> before needing more drastic replacement measures?  It is for a college
> professor who plays a lot and teaches on the instrument.  The picture
> below hopefully shows the amount of wear.
>
> Also, what is the black stuff?  It seems pretty heavy.  Graphite?  Is
> that acceptable as it has apparently caused a kind of slick, shiny wear
> to the knuckles.  Just curious.

We used to have a dealer of Schafer and Sons here, and every
grand sold had this problem sooner or later. Usually sooner.
Knuckle replacement and thorough cleaning (stripping) of rep
levers and jack tops was the only thing I found to work
reliably. After the knuckle squeaks were fixed,  the other
problems became more apparent.
Ron N

Ron N