[pianotech] squeeky knuckles

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 14:35:07 MDT 2009

Hi Steven,

Naptha can help clean them up, too. If, after cleaning, brushing and lubricating, there are still grooves, it is possible to shape/sand knuckles (like hammers) so the knuckle surface is smoother for spacing/lining up the wippen to the knuckle (See the cover of August's Journal and Fred Redekop's article).

The best thing to prolong the life of the knuckles is to keep the regulation tight and treat the knuckles every now and then with Teflon powder. Try Andre's method of using a chalkboard eraser for applying the Teflon (October Journal, TT&T). It's really fast. I carry my Teflon applying eraser in a ziplock bag in my tool case. I'm much more inclined to apply it, now, since it is less messy and doesn't take as long.

Sorry my schedule was so loony when you were in Peoria before the convention. I hope things went well.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois