[pianotech] Restringing with original pinblock

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Oct 18 07:31:39 MDT 2009

Hi Al:

I've done it both ways over the years, and I think that fitting the two
pieces separately is by far the easiest way to do it.  I would make the bass
capping piece first, fit it to the flange as well as the underside of the
plate, leaving it a bit too thick at first.  Then I would fit the larger
bottom piece to the face flange and the underside of the tenor and treble
section of the plate.  Then joint down the bottom of the bass capping piece
until the larger piece contacts the underside of the plate fully.  Remove
the pieces, drill 4 indexing holes for bridge pins into the bottom of the
bass capping piece, place the bass piece onto the inverted plate underside.
Now you will carefully press the larger pinblock piece against the plate
flange as you press upward into the indexing pins.  (Actually, I wack it
with a rubber mallet).  Remove, drill out the holes, and clamp the two
pieces together after applying glue. Proceed as usual from there.

If I am visualizing your block correctly, this could be reinstalled as a
fully fitted pinblock where it butts the sides of the case and is glued to
the stretcher - if you have indexed the plate and pinblock location prior to
removal of both. I do this with locater pins drilled through the plate into
the pinblock before teardown, and have made many a new pinblock for a piano
that was fully fitted, where it had been a floater before.  It's not that
much more work, and will strengthen the mounting of the pinblock to the rim
sides and the stretcher.  Whether there is an acoustic benefit to doing that
is questionable.

Mark Perry brought up the idea of using a carving duplicator machine to
duplicate this or the more complex two or four piece Chickering pinblocks.
This might be of value if the original block(s) were well mated to the
plate, which they often are not.  Even if it were well fit, I would not
trust the duplicator to get the screw holes in exactly the right place.
With the two or four piece blocks, these are machine screws going into a
threaded hole in the plate - so there is almost no fudge factor for location
of screw holes.  You would likely find that you would have to enlarge the
holes in the pinblock to make it work.  Better to simply use dowel centers
set into the screw holes in the plate to index the new holes in the
pinblock.

Will