[pianotech] Restring Chickering using orig pin block

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 07:26:08 MDT 2009

Al Said: "I'm restringing a Chickering grand and was prepared to replace the
pinblock. I removed the plate and the pinblock is in great condition. Nice
white wood, no cracks or separation, so I have decided keep the existing
block. I removed 2/0 tuning pins.

I'm looking for suggestions as to pinblock preparation. Ream/drill and go up
to 4/0, or just wire brush and use 3/0? Any thoughts on this would be
appreciated. I'm also open to any other suggestions."

Al,
I would suggest replacing the block. Chickerings are/were notorious for
loose pins. I've rebuilt several. All had blocks that looked good, with few
exceptions. However, after trying to use several of them and getting mixed
results and eventually replacing, I just replace and be done with it,
anymore. I suspect the quality of the wood, plus the lack of sufficient
laminations causes the problem.
Just my take on Chickerings.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

Al - I would second Joe's opinion on this. Install a new pinblock and you
won't have to second guess yourself down the road. I've got several pianos
in the area that I went with the less drastic approach, and am now thinking
I should have gone the whole 9 yards. Chuck Behm