[pianotech] Restringing with original pinblock

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Oct 16 13:39:47 MDT 2009

Hi Al,

If the block really is OK, and since I drill in the piano (obviously you
will be too), I would recommend treating this situation as if you were doing
a two pass drilling on a new block.  That is, the first pass is already
done, now you need to drill a couple tests to determine what torque you
want.  If it were me, I'd probably see if there wasn't an area up in the
treble where I could drill a test hole or two that wouldn't compromise
anything structurally.  I'd think that only the block in the piano would
give you an accurate test piece since you've none of the scrap.  Once you
figure out what size bit you want as your final size, chuck it in the press
and then drill the entire block that way.  Results should be very
consistent.  As far as pin size, I'd recommend the smallest that you can get
away with while still drilling out every hole.

My take,
William R. Monroe