[pianotech] S&S Damper thump

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 15 20:28:48 MDT 2009

You can also try regulating the lift so that the dampers don't rise or set
quite uniformly front to back, i.e. the back lifts first, or the front for
that matter (just slightly) so the dampers actually kind of rock down onto
the strings rather than fall straight down with the front and back seating
at the same time.  Changing damper felt may not solve the problem.  Also,
remember that an insensitive foot can always make a thump and that higher
tension in the trap work tends to get the foot to release more rapidly.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com