[pianotech] New shop lighting and accessories

Dave Hulbert, RPT dave at hulbertpiano.com
Wed Oct 14 13:04:42 MDT 2009

Barbara - You've gotten great ideas already, but let me add my 2 cents on lighting fixtures, etc.  For general lighting (not task) I have had great success w/ 4' fluorescents.  In my home-basement shop, I too first had only a few single bulb pull cord fixtures on bare wood floor beams - wow was it dark......  To save the most height and to get the most lighting, I installed white 2x2 ceiling tile FLUSH, instead of the drop style which would have taken at least 3-4 more inches away.  I then mounted the 4' (w/ two bulbs each) fixtures FLUSH to the ceiling tile that had the 'crushed ice' style reflectors, including the sides which emit great light in all directions.  I put them only 5' apart.  The combination of adequate lighting, a white ceiling and white painted walls works great for a basement shop.  It's like you're outdoors on a bright sunny day - but not!

I did more research when designing my new shop - above the ground.  Go to a lighting store (not a Home Depot or Lowe's) that will sell a quality ballast that is quiet.  (Joel Jones' observation is so true).  They do make them and the cost is not out of line - and totally worth it.  Also, for a little bit more $, you can get the 'natural light' fluorescent tubes so that the red felt isn't green when the lights are on...

Choose the 'crushed ice' reflectors only - stay away from the 'honeycomb' style that will only direct the light straight down.  Since I had more options w/ the new shop, I put 4' (4 bulb) fixtures every 4 - 6 feet apart.  Visitors ask if I'm growing plants....  Have fun figuring this all out........

Dave Hulbert, RPT
414.315.7763
dave at hulbertpiano.com
www.hulbertpiano.com