[pianotech] Steinway Double Flanges

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 13 17:55:51 MDT 2009

Patrick said: "Hello all: I am currently replacing some broken damper levers on a Steinway K upright, and out of curiosity tried to pull a hammer off, which is connected to the other side of the double flang. I just can not figure out how to pull it out - there isn't enough clearance for the backcheck catcher to clear. There must be a way to do this! Help me out, you Steinway experts."
Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983

Patrick,
Take the Spring Rail off. It is  attached  with  bolts/nuts. Once you  do that, there is all  kinds of  room.<G>
Regards,
joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police