[pianotech] tape residue

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 12:54:24 MDT 2009

Howdy,

I was having a look through the archives about removing tape goo from keytops and someone made a reference to a type of key that might get damaged by a solvent. Would that be those old celluloid keys?

Does anybody remember what type of keytop is on a Betsy Ross spinet? I'm pretty excited to get to service one of these, I've heard so much about them (or her). ;-}

Another question about those celluloid keytops. I have a customer with a Baldwin Monarch small upright with many--maybe all--chipped keys. She doesn't want to spring for new keytops, so I was thinking of just filing and making waterfall keys out of them. Will the celluloid file OK?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois