[pianotech] T-Mobile has announced, that it was unable to recover Sidekick data after a server failure at, Microsoft subsidiary Danger.

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sun Oct 11 10:52:26 MDT 2009

***** INFORMATIONAL ONLY *****

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[DISCUSS] Utter incompetence from Microsoft
Date: 	Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:28:14 -0500
From: 	Scott Granneman <scott at granneman.com>
To: 	cwelug at googlegroups.com, discuss at sluug.org

Did you guys see this?

http://mashable.com/2009/10/10/t-mobile-sidekick-data/

"There’s bad news for Sidekick users today: T-Mobile has announced
that it was unable to recover Sidekick data after a server failure at
Microsoft subsidiary Danger. This means any data not stored on your
Sidekick but residing in the “cloud” has been lost.

Sidekick users are advised to keep their devices powered up and not
conduct a reset or remove the battery: a power-down would mean any
data still on the phone is lost. T-Mobile will provide an update on
the situation on Monday, but things are looking very bleak indeed.

In T-Mobile’s words: “based on Microsoft/Danger’s latest recovery
assessment of their systems, we must now inform you that personal
information stored on your device – such as contacts, calendar
entries, to-do lists or photos – that is no longer on your Sidekick
almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at
Microsoft/Danger.”"

You guys know I love the cloud, but I back my stuff in the cloud up
locally too. And this would never happen on an iPhone, considering
that you sync your data on it with iTunes.

But more importantly, this really exposes Microsoft's utter
incompetence. I mean, really.

Scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
scott at granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were
to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government
would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be
administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you
must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the
next place oblige it to control itself."
      ---James Madison, Federalist 51

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years