[pianotech] Broken hammer shank on a Yamaha Spinet

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 12:30:00 MDT 2009

Rob

Your email was a bit confusing. You talk in the last paragraph about not
wanting to take the hammer butt out of the piano, but show a picture of it
out of the piano. If it is already out and the shank has broken at the top
of the butt, then your question on installing the hammer butt back in the
piano is a mute point (you decided on that when you pulled it out) and you
have all the measurements that you need for the repair at hand. Having
gotten the butt out of the piano for the picture, you know about detaching
the lifter rods on the keys on the broken butt and those on either side to
get to the butt screw.

1.    First remove the broken shank from the butt as per your idea and/or
suggestions from the list.

2.    Dry fit a hammer shank in the butt using what ever method you use to
put in a glue relief.

3.    Check the length of the old hammer shank by holding the hammerhead
next to the neighboring hammer in the piano to see if the shank comes to the
top of the neighboring hammer butt. If it does, it did break at the top of
the butt, if it doesn't, eye the amount of shank needed to reach the butt
and remember that distance.

4.    Remove the broken shank from the hammer head.

5.    Place the broken shank next to the new shank that is dry fitted in the
butt and lift the old shank up from the butt the distance that you
remembered seeing in the piano. Cut the new shank just over this height.

6.    With the new shank dry fitted in the butt, use the shank to lower the
butt into the action. Us a split end screw driver that grips the screw
(Schaff pg.82 #4028) to start the screw and finish driving with a narrow tip
screw drive.

7.    Remove the shank and put glue into the hole of the butt by using a
glue bottle with a long spout, reaching between the lifter rods and/or
putting the glue on a flat toothpick and putting it in the hole a small
amount at a time and/or putting glue on the bottom of the hammer shank and
inserting it in the butt. Either way you do it, you will need to end with
the glue on the hammer shank. It doesn't take much glue because there is not
much to fill if you have done the repair correctly. If there is not enough
glue to form a collar, remove the shank and put more glue on the shank,
repeating until you have a good collar.

8.    Do all the adjustments needed to make sure that the butt and shank are
lined up with the other assemblies around it.

9.    Dry fit the hammer head on the shank and check the height. Trim a
little with the "dog clipper" type trimmer until the hammer matches its
neighbor. Most likely you will be almost perfectly on.

10.Do your regular mode of hammer installation and you should be good to go.

I don't see any reason to pull a spinet action for a simple hammer shank
replacement like this. Pulling the action means that you have to have an
action cradle or some other way to hold the action to be able to work on it.
Letting the piano hold the action is much easier.

My 4 cents worth for what it is worth.

Rex Roseman