[pianotech] Broken hammer shank on a Yamaha Spinet

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 00:33:51 MDT 2009

Hi, Rob:
	Well, I would just remove the shank, with whatever method works for you.
I do like your suggestion using the screw/heat etc.  Use a sharp drill and
remove any glue residue in the hole.  Often, the preferred method of
removal doesn't work, and you're left with having to drill it out.  Use
care to drill it straight.  Glue in the shank, mount the flange to the
rail, and using a shank cutter, cut slivers off the end of the shank until
you can get the (dry) fit you need.  Then just glue the hammer onto the
shank and you're done.
	If you drill a tiny hole into the hammer for allowing the excess glue to
escape, it helps.  When gluing in the shank to the butt, make sure it's
parallel to the others and that the catcher lines up with the others when
the shank is resting on the rest rail.  In other words, the hole in the
butt has to be cleared of any debris, and if it's a little oversized, the
centerline of the shank may not match the centerline of the hammer butt and
the catcher may sag below the other ones.  Sometimes I've had to support
the catcher while the glue hardens.  With your action in the piano, this
may be tricky to do.  For the sake of your sanity, if you have to remove
the action, just bite the bullet and do it.  It will make your life easier
in the long run.  Trying to repair the spinet action in the piano is such a
pain that I've resigned myself to removing the action in many cases.
	Spinet repair is a pain in the ... (fill in the blank).  Are you having
fun yet?
	Good luck
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego