[pianotech] More difficult than upright damper spoons

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 10 20:32:32 MDT 2009

Train an apprentice to do it and you will find it doesn't bother you as much... '-)

David Ilvedson
Pacifica, CA

On Oct 10, 2009, at 3:19 AM, Diane Hofstetter <dianepianotuner at msn.com> wrote:

Dad used to say that if someone thought he might want to work on pianos, you should teach him to adjust the damperspoons, leave him alone, and if he is still there after a half hour, then you train him.

Well, I'll take upright damper spoons any day.  I found something MUCH WORSE!  I'm repinning a Kohler and Campbell action and damper action.  The little springs under the sostenuto tabs are nearly impossible to put back in.

Anyone have any hints for me?

I've tried holding them in a variety of ways,a spot of glue, tying them onto the tab with thread, using a safety pin...........

SOMEONE knows how to do it--someone put them there originally.

Diane Hofstetter