[pianotech] Standard Tuning Prices

chip tuthill chiptuthill at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 10:24:44 MDT 2009

HI,

I'm new to this list as well as a new tuner in SW Colorado. There is one other tuner in our area. Neither he nor I are members of the PTG or a RPT's. I plan on applying as an associate member of the PRG. I wish to increase my skills.

The other tuner has several church accounts. I know these and do not solicit work from them. I accompany for the SW Players & the local theater group. We rehearse at one of these churches. I asked the church if they would have our practice piano tuned. The answer was NO. "Okay,..." I said, "I know x tunes for you. Is it okay if I tune the practice piano? It is over 100 cents flat." Their reply was, "Fine. But you will not be paid."  I tune our church piano here gratis, but this was the first time I have been told to do one for free!

When I went over to tune the piano, I found the other tuner had done a pitch raise. I left it as he was coming back to finish. That was 5 months ago. He never returned. I did the fine tune last week-free.

Chip Tuthill