[pianotech] Beckets

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Oct 7 08:11:15 MDT 2009

Danger! Danger!

If you smart boys can't avoid talking past one another, what hope is
there for we sub-mortals?

Jude said nothing about pin angle, though that was a point raised by
Ron in responding to the original photograph submitted by Richard Ucci

>Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:16:51 -0400
>From: Richard <richard.ucci at att.net>
>Subject: [pianotech] Pin height

>Oh, and they [the coils] likely wouldn't be "loose" if the pinblock
>had been drilled at a more reasonable angle.
>Ron N
>Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:08:20 -0500

Perpetuating my nitpiky pathology, the angle of the pin in the block
is less of an issue, or rather, at least theoretically, determined by
the inclination (angle?) created by the string between the front
bearing and the take-off point.  You have multiple variables with
their own ranges of tolerance.  The parameters determining the
desirable  distance of the take-off point (coil) from the plate are
functions of pin flex and torsion and allowing room for some further
corrective tapping (practicality).  The control of the pin-distortion
elements (flex & torsion) impact the range of tuning techniques at
our disposal.  The more the system precludes such distortion - by
maximizing stiffness - the more tuning is limited to actually turning
the pin such as is the case with tuning pins contacting front of
plate hole.  The draft angle, in turn, is tied to a frictional coefficient.

Once you know that take-off height, and assuming your theoretically
ideal take-off angle would be 90 degrees, the pin angle would be
determined as I described above.  Its seems most everything else is a
function of generating safe tolerances - coils not contacting plate;
take-off angle not LESS than 90 degrees,(creating stress-point where
string begins to over-wind coil above).

In theory, as the take-off point moves closer to the plate, we would
want to be able to revise the pin angle, to maintain a 90 degree
take-off.  There must be some range of angle, more than 90 that would
still not have a negative impact of the capacity to maintain tight
coils, past which, Ron's statement:
>The angle relationship of the pin to the string, determined in part
>by the angle of the pin in the block, *is* the part of this that
>affects the process of getting tight coils.
is certainly correct.

But I'm not sure I understand his last question: "Why would having to
drive the pin deeper be a problem?"  which, in turn was a response to
Jude's statement: "More coils can allow for the string to exit the
tuning pin perpendicular towards the front bearing thus allowing for
a tight coil without sinking the pin deeper than less coils would allow."

Earlier in the poly-thread, driving pins deeper was suggested as a
way to correct the condition presented in the photograph.  As I said,
in an earlier response, if the pin-torque was already tight in the
photo configuration, driving pins could produce unacceptably (to me)
high torque readings. (It would, however, probably re-establish the
correct draft angle.)  That would be my concern, even if there was no
issue of pins protruding from the underside of the block.   It might
be that such a change in pin depth would not generate such results in
Ron's pianos.  I don't know.

I didn't bring up the question of whether a pin, angled back in a
block, with a take-off angle in excess of 90 degrees, would be any
stiffer, due to the different vector.

Boy, am I in trouble.

David Skolnik RTT
Hastings on Hudson, NY