[pianotech] Epoxy for pinblock

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 20:25:13 MDT 2009

Yes Pierre, but if I was you , I'd rather practice pinblock replacement on a 4'10" than to have to do my first on a Steinway B for example.

By the way, I did try on one old upright to fill the holes with epoxy and then redrill. Never again. maybe my epoxy was not right, but I had to drill a second time to install plugs. It looked like the epoxy would melt when I tried to drill it for the pins.

So, for me from now on, if CA glue doesn't work, it will be a new pinblock. I'll be doing one next week on a cheap grand a customer got in florida for $350.00. But then they hired an artist to paint the case and it's quite good looking, but the pins were almost coming out of the pinblock. So after recommending the piano to be replaced, the customer had a talk with his wife who would not hear of having that beautifull piano replace by an ugly shiny black one (her words). So I'll have to make it work and I'll also be making a living.

Marcel Carey

Sherbrooke, QC