[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 12, Issue 73

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 6 11:41:38 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: pianotech-request at ptg.org
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:21:47 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

>Paul Dempsey wrote:

>Precision placement of the beckets is nice if you can get it. If you're compelled for it,
> go for it. I don't think it means squat.

>I just replaced a set of bass strings on a Yamaha grand that the owner had killed with
>Pledge or something. I looked at every becket on the factory stringing and they all were in the >1:00 to 4:00 position.

>My new Bass strings were all in the 1:00 to 3:00 spot.

Funny, Paul, I was just thinking of what the stringing on our Hamburg Steinway D here at SFSU looked like before I restrung it a few years ago (I was having the same discussion with someone locally back then). It was the original factory stringing.

Tuning pins perfectly level. Very nice, tight, level coils, correct number of turns, bends perfectly shaped (nobody has mentioned that yet - now that's really important...). Beckets alignment - fairly random. Shame on all those sloppy, unprofessional German Steinway stringers.

>I doubt that the customer will notice. I don't remember ever having a client even say the word >becket.

Have you considered what it would take for the layman to even notice the becket alignment?

1. Remove the music desk
2. Assume position quite familiar to men of a certain age from their annual prostate exam
3. Squint.
4. Clean glasses (if applicable)
5. Squint again
6. Have piano technician (or salesman) show them where to look for "beckets" and/or explain what they look like. .
7. Have piano technician (or salesman) draw their attention to the fact that said "beckets" are not aligned. Unless their name is Adrian Monk - in which case they may notice all by themselves. Maybe...

Israel Stein