[pianotech] Becket Alignment - sub-topic of Tuning pin height

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 19:03:12 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----

Monday, October 5, 2009 4:56:23 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

Is it really necessary to intentionally place an insult Israel?

You're obviously not willing to discuss this rationally and it is very obvious you miss my points and completely by-pass them altogether for the sake of being right rather than having an honest discussion. With that mentality, the discussion becomes useless.

Jer Groot RPT

What I find insulting, Ger, is this insistence on equating lack of attention to one small insignificant detail with general sloppy workmanship and lack of skill. This is an insult to a whole lot of very careful, very skilled, very reputable people who happen to not share your view on the terrible importance of this one detail. It's called "tarring with a broad brush". So, we can keep repeating our mutual insults - each in our own way - and thus continue to insult the intelligence of the memebrs of this list. Or we can carefully re-read David Love's post, and a recent post by Ron Nossaman and perhaps retreat from such extreme positions.

And for the record, Ger, every instance that you cite in your post has its origin in functionality - and cosmetic appearance is a side effect. It looks nice when everything is neatly trimmed and the right length and so far and so on - but the more important consideration here is that bushing aren't noisy, and that there is sufficient cloth surface for a solid joint to the wood - but not so much surface as to cause excessive friction, and so far and so on. Which is a point that several people - besides myself - have made several times, apparently for nought. And I don't think anyone here is interested in me deconstructing your entire previous post along the above lines - so I won't.

As to a more detailed analysis of the issues here as I see them, calmly and rationally addressed, I will try to post when I have time in response to William Monroe's very astute and relevant question posed to me by name earlier today. And those who aren't interested are invited to make use of the "Delete" key.

Israel Stein