[pianotech] Pin height

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 5 16:59:55 MDT 2009

I put the subject back, just for identification.

David Skolnik wrote:
> and frustrating
> when people seem to be talking past one-another.

This is typically the biggest problem.

> While I might agree with William Monroe's proposition that, assuming it
> takes little extra effort to achieve becket uniformity, why would one
> challenge one's (hopefully) basic impulse to accomplish such an
> aesthetic, I do take some issue with the accuracy of his analogy of the
> keyboard, the fundamental difference being both the degree of direct
> interaction with the player and visibility to the observer.  It is much
> more likely that irregularity in the key work would be noted than the
> beckets under the music desk.

I agree. The keytops are the interface with the user. It's a
different set of rules.

General statement:
By all means, align beckets to whatever degree you're willing
and capable. Interpreting another tech's entire professional
worth from your impression of his becket alignment, being one
of the smallest and least functional details in a piano, is a
bit much.

Interestingly, the comment from the original poster on the
photo that started this latest fiasco was "Nice neat job, but
kinda high."

We focus on what we know.
Ron N