[pianotech] Tuning pin height

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 15:20:24 MDT 2009

I don’t think anyone was really arguing that non aligned beckets means that the rest of the job was sloppy and not up to par, it’s just that craftsmanship, attention to cosmetic detail, creates an impression.  That impression may be totally false in both directions, as we’ve pointed out, but it does create an impression.  I certainly wouldn’t reject a piano that was otherwise terrific because the beckets didn’t line up but a customer might notice the small details of craftsmanship or lack of them and it might influence their decision to buy it or not regardless of what I said.  When I look at a piano, or listen to one, and it sounds great I don’t necessarily focus in on a poorly laid out bridge or uneven offsets.  It doesn’t probably make a functional difference.  But I notice it and it can’t help but form an impression of the workmanship.  So, my reading of the posts is that everyone agrees that beckets that are not perfectly lined up doesn’t mean the job is sub par but if I were training an apprentice I would tell them to pay attention to what  on the surface seem like insignificant little cosmetic details.  Not at the expense of something else more important, but in general because the impression you leave with each job can influence your ability to score future work.  Whether that’s fair and or reasonable on the part of the consumers I don’t know.  But it’s a fact.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com