[pianotech] Young Chang & Weber Grands: Action Clicking/Knocking Upon Quick Key Release

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Mon Oct 5 10:37:41 MDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 2:07 AM, Paul Milesi wrote:

> All these pianos have a “noisy” action!  At first I thought it might
> be worn key bushings or loose wippen or hammer flange screws.  But
> I’ve now taken the time to eliminate the key and the flanges.  The
> noise appears to be either (1) the repetition or jack hitting the
> knuckle; or (2) the jack regulating button hitting the stop.  The
> knocking/clicking occurs when any key is released quickly, but not
> even necessarily all the way up.  I believe it happens when the key
> is released enough to let the jack return.  I’m now wondering if a
> third possibility is the spring in the little hole of the jack?  If
> so, what’s the fix?

Paul,

Just ideas for you to investigate.

First find the absolute worst offender of this knocking/clicking sound
as the test subject.

To eliminate the knuckle as the cause soften all areas of the knuckle
the jack comes into contact with.
To eliminate the jack regulating button as the cause, soften the felt
or replace with new.
To eliminate the jack center pin as the cause, re-pin.

Make certain the jack tip is centered somewhat in the repetition window.

As to 'the spring in the little hole of the jack', if it's the cause,
you should be able to hear it with the wippen assembly held in your
hand by moving the jack back and forth.

Keith