[pianotech] Tuning pin height

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 4 22:26:14 MDT 2009

> I don't think looks are all that important,(or they would have locked
> my up years ago), but they do indicate the care taken in a job. A
> rebuilder that leaves sloppy, uneven, coils will rarely do a more
> consistant job drilling the block, at least in my experience.  I like
> beckets to line up because it leaves the tuning hammer in the same
> position from pin to pin, facilitating tuning.

I was just thinking. If lining up beckets precisely results in precisely
the same exact tuning hammer angle when tuning, then the arm motion on
every tuning pin will be precisely the same. Repetitive motion syndrome
being an occupational hazard in our trade, is this really such a good
thing? Perhaps variation in the wrist angle caused by having to deal
with tuning pins somewhat out of becket alignment introduces enough of a
variation into the arm motion to help stave off "repetitive motion"?
Just food for thought. Are we in our professional pride of being
"fussier than thou" inadvertently hurting ourselves - just like all
those hockey players who refused to wear helmets because it was not
"tough enough" and therefore "unprofessional"? (until the league forced
them to...) Just something to think about...

Israel Stein