[pianotech] Pin height

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 4 22:09:13 MDT 2009

> I wrote:
>

> >>     As far as hammers and backchecks lining up, those are elements in
>
> >> function, and I do think they are important, even if I allow a mm or
>
> >> so alteration in blow distances between hammers to even out action
>
> >> geometry.
>
> Israel replies:
>

> > Precisely. Things that matter an awful lot... If  lining up beckets is
>
> > considered on the same level of importance as hammer and backcheck
>
> > alignment - than someone has a rather screwed up value system...

Geesh, Ed. I happen to be agreeing with you here. Matters of function
are more important than cosmetics. Whoever (not you - the guy to whom
you replied) puts them on the same level of importance as mere cosmetics
is the one with screwed up values.

> I also said:
>
> "A worker that has no pride rarely does the best work."
>

> To which Israel replies:
>
> "I don't believe that Ron Nossaman - who was the first to express the
> opinion here that lined up beckets don't matter - can hardly be
> accused of "rarely doing the best work". "
>
>          What a huge leap of sideways logic!  It was never posited
> that these considerations were equal in value.  An equally absurd
> connection is made with the following sentence.
Not by you but by the person to whom you replied!. Maybe you should read
things a bit more carefully before getting all hot and bothered.
> "Ron was pointing out that he didn't worry about exact becket
> alignment. That hardly qualifies for "having no pride" in his work."
>
>       My post was not personally directed at Nossman, but at what I
> have seen in the trade in general.  There is no need for anyone to try
> to link the two. Israel, this is an example of taking a general
> observation, stretching it out to the extreme, and then inferring it
> was aimed at someone. Doesn't do anybody an good.
Well, my intent was not to accuse you of disparaging Ron undeservedly
but to point out that it is dangerous to make generalizations about
workmanship on the basis of an insignificant cosmetic detail. Which is
how Ron - jmudging from his reply - understood it. And my experience
both in Boston and in San Francisco is precisely the opposite. I have
run into a lot more rebuilt pianos cosmetically perfect - but with
flawed voicing, regulation and or/touchweight than the opposite. David
Love's work being one of the few exceptions where the workmanship is
equally fussy on both counts. There are others, with well deserved
reputations. But far too many "screw polishers" on various levels. And
plenty fine craftspeople who choose to fuss where it counts - over
details of function and structure - rather than minor cosmetic details.

Israel Stein