[pianotech] Tuning pin height

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 2 20:43:30 MDT 2009

Precut the wire the full length for of both speaking lengths (plain wire
section).  Make a bend for the hitch pin with a pair of rounded pliers.
Hitch the string on the hitch pin.  Slip a 3 1/8" length of thin rubber
tubing (1/8" diameter) over the end of the wire to use as a measuring guide.
Pull the length taut and line up the end of the tubing with the center of
the tuning pin hole.  At the other end of the tubing cut the wire flush
leaving exactly 3 1/8" beyond the center of the tuning pin hole.  Wind the
pin and pound it home.  Do  the same thing with the other length.  The
beckets will come out in the same position.  No fancy tools required.  Just
a length of tubing you can get from any hobby store.

I don't know what Jon P's device is but this is how I do it.  Change the
length of the tubing depending on how you many coils you want.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com