[pianotech] Broken Tuning Pin

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 1 21:58:08 MDT 2009

I think what I would do would be to first run a thin drill alongside the
broken pin through the tuning pin bushing and out the back of the piano as a
guide.  Then take a larger drill  (say a 1/2" drill) and drill through the
back of the piano until you contact the bottom of the tuning pin.  Then
drive the pin out from the back using a punch and a sledge or a piece of
brass stock as the punch slightly hollowing out the tip so it will set
against the bottom of the pin without slipping.  You don't really need to
drive it all the way out, just enough to be able to grab it with something
but you might be able to drive it through anyway.  Once out you can plug the
1/2" hole with whatever your material of choice is, ream the old tuning pin
hole and replace with the appropriate size.  I think that would work.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com