[pianotech] Repair of 1961 Baldwin L Music Desk

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Thu Oct 1 15:40:52 MDT 2009

I am in need of suggestions to effect a repair on a 1961 Baldwin L Music
Desk.

Each side of the upright desk portion has a little brass(?) tube inserted
into the wood.  These interface with a little tab on the bracket mounted on
the desk frame.  My problem is this: The desk in question has had the wood
broken out on one side, and the little brass tube is missing.  Another
technician made a repair with epoxy at some point, leaving just a hole
without the tubing, but it¹s not holding now.  I¹ve been to Home Depot
looking for a similar brass tube I could cut, but couldn¹t find anything of
the right diameter.  It is my understanding that there is no place to obtain
Baldwin parts, i.e., no tech support for Baldwin.  Is that correct?  I can¹t
find any on the Gibson website, and the one dealer tech I called in NJ never
returned my call.

I don¹t have a large shop or a whole lot of woodworking experience/skill,
but would like to effect a nice, clean repair ‹ either one that follows the
original design, or perhaps two hinges somehow that will permit the desk to
open and close, as some pianos have.  Myabe I could use a couple small
hinges from Schaff?  Would I have to chisel out to sink them?  The piano
case is not in great shape, so I¹m not too, too worried about a fine
finished appearance, but I always do ³clean² work.

All help appreciated!  Thanks!

Paul
--
Paul Milesi, RPT