[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 10:37:45 PST 2009

Ok, Since nobody solved the mystery question of where or how does one measure the dip/key travel...
???At red School house in 1976 we were instructed to measure the total key dip/travel from the under side of the key cover with a metric ruler.. It's a great visual reference point. Later, I?discovered for myself that I didn't like?10mm & preferred 10.5 instead?
When using my gauge the measurement of .390? which again, is measured at slightly in front of the pin will yield a ruler reading result?at the front of the key of 10.5mm. But I no longer have to get bi-focal's & headlamps to try to read the little tiny numbers on the ruler. It's a gauge that is a magnifying glass not a microscope but its pretty dang close.
? Dale
?

Hi Dale...?
?
I thought I answered this already... perhaps I misunderstand exactly what your question is. After bedding and leveling, I use a standard 10 mm key dip block to do a rough setting of key dip, then do as good a regulation as I can, then refine key dip to achieve as even an aftertouch as I can. I like to double check letoff-drop and jack/rep-arm orientation as I go along in this aftertouch refinement. Sometimes a small adjustment in one of those is whats called for instead of a slight change in the dip.?
?
I dont actually "measure" per se as I think I understand your query at all. Perhaps if you described what YOU do I might better understand what you are getting at.?
?
Cheers?
RicB?
?
? Ric?
? Ok, Good points. I was waiting for the answer but...ok... where &?
? How do YOU measure key dip??
? Hmm?
? Dale?
?