[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 28 11:35:29 PST 2009

Ah... Now I see what you were getting at.

Haven't run into exactly this, tho at Hamamatsu they DID make a big
point of measuring key height in this fashion. On the C2's we had I
think it was 63 mm from keybed to underside of the key covering.  Dip
however was checked with a 10 mm (or so) dip block with the front of the
block flush with the front of the top of the key covering. That puts is
a couple mm out in front of the key front.  I cant imagine running
through 88 keys with one of those metal mm measuring sticks checking dip
this way tho !  But it DOES remind me of my Japanese student colleagues
and their measuring sticks.... and how greatful I was that I'd gone
through L. Edwards aftertouch seminars and had such excellent fly by the
seat of your pants toutalage from the likes of André and a couple others
along the way.  Whilst the Japanese kids were using eons of time
attempting to measure to the nth degree of accuracy using their various
devices of precision... I let my eyeballs, touch, and knowledge of some
basic action relationships whip me through the regulation part of our
routines.... which ended up yielding as good or better scores then the
others in our classes, and had alllll kinds of time left over to work on
the voicing and tuning aspects of their training.  This was great for me
as I got so very much good instruction about voicing issues whilst there
because I actually had the time on my hands to work through and get
feedback from the instructors. Stock Yamaha hammers for smaller grands
are a bit different to work with then some of these wonderful new high
quality sets we can get now... but they do serve as a good learning
set.... at least under that kind of supervision.

Cheers
RicB

    Ok, Since nobody solved the mystery question of where or how does
    one measure the dip/key travel...

    At red School house in 1976 we were instructed to measure the total
    key dip/travel from the under side of the key cover with a metric
    ruler.. It's a great visual reference point. Later, I discovered for
    myself that I didn't like 10mm & preferred 10.5 instead
    When using my gauge the measurement of .390 which again, is measured
    at slightly in front of the pin will yield a ruler reading result at
    the front of the key of 10.5mm. But I no longer have to get
    bi-focal's & headlamps to try to read the little tiny numbers on the
    ruler. It's a gauge that is a magnifying glass not a microscope but
    its pretty dang close.
    Dale