[pianotech] S&S "D" Keys with Attachments on To

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Feb 21 10:51:23 PST 2009

Ric B. wrote:
> Touchy - feely stuff as you put it just
plain leaves way to much room for .... shall we say "interpretation".
Thats the stuff disagreements without basis is made of

Ric!
Sometimes this is all we have, and should be the most important criteria. As
soon as you sit at a piano issues like action saturation, heavy hammers,
damper problems, and on and on jump at you in miliseconds. I don't need to
quantify any of this until I get it on the bench and start spending the
customer's money. These first 'touchy feely' inputs I recieve from the piano
tell all kinds of things.
>Thing is....
when you come to think of it.... something along the lines of 99.6 % of
the worlds pianists actually don't have a problem with the keys as they
come out of the factory.

It might be that 99.6% do have a problem, and it might be in the key as it
comes out of the factory, or some other part of the action as it comes out
of the factory. I really don't think they are satisfied. Frankly, I have not
addressed the issue of key stiffness, or tried to make any modification to
that end. But, I am following this thread with interest and intend to do
some experiments. I will defininately be using 'touchy-feely' before and
after as part of my data collection.
Fenton
PS. I'm way behind on these threads, so please excuse my reply if it is by
this time obsolete.