[pianotech] S&S "D" Keys with Attachments on To

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 13 13:23:30 PST 2009

Hi William...

I think perhaps something along Stanwoods method of assembling
statistics would do the trick. Touchy - feely stuff as you put it just
plain leaves way to much room for .... shall we say "interpretation".
Thats the stuff disagreements without basis is made of.  Thing is....
when you come to think of it.... something along the lines of 99.6 % of
the worlds pianists actually don't have a problem with the keys as they
come out of the factory.  Perhaps thats an inconvenience for certain
piano techs... but there it is.  Kidding aside...  I think the subject
matter bears closer attention. Until such time as someone does... I
think I'll not jump on that particular bandwagon. At least not as far as
declaring it one of these universal <<truths>> we keep hearing about.

I'd suggest a place to start is to just find out just how stiff a key
needs to be for any given action before the rest of the action becomes
.... less stiff. Then perhaps we might see how pianists in large numbers
react to the sensation.  We may end up with another jiffy leads story
for all we know :)

Cheers... and its kinda nice to be back... at least for a bit.

RicB