[pianotech] Mahagony soundboards

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 19:34:12 PST 2009

This reminds me of the first time I saw a Storytone soundboard.  It was on a showroom floor.  Seeing that it was laminated where a hole was drill for a nose bolt, I was quite horrified at the very idea of using plywood for a soundboard ….  the first I had ever seen.  I remember that it was 1971, in Biloxi, MS.  I was in an Air Force band at Keesler AFB at the time.  Scrutinizing the soundboard attracted the attention of a piano salesman who came to ask if he could help me.  All I could utter was, “Is that a plywood soundboard?!”  His reply was, “Certainly not! That is hard-rock maple!”  This was also my first exposure to just how misinformed  salesmen can be!

Frank Emerson