[pianotech] Misaligned in Montana

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 17:16:24 PST 2009

Hi Arlie,

Hmm.  You say it's new.  When this kind of "magical re-misalignment"
happens, I usually suspect string grooves as the culprit.  If the
hammers are grooved, and you move the hammer, the grooves and the
strings will want to mate up again in a manner that makes Romeo and
Juliet look like Felix and Oscar.  The torsional force on the hammer
as the grooves find the strings on fortissimo blows can cause the
flange to realign, in addition to eventually ruining the flange
pinning.  The solution here is, of course, to file the hammer after
moving it.  This leaves only a heartbroken Romeo, as Juliet has been
filed away (how unromantic is that?).  Well, actually, it leaves Romeo
and his two amorous but unlucky cousins, Wayne and Augie (assuming
it's a trichord).

If the piano really is new, as in absolutely no string cuts at all
(true, well, umm, virgin felt), then the above fanciful scenario would
not apply, possibly to the relief of certain fainthearted readers.  If
those readers prefer a crime drama instead, we can substitute:  "After
he got out of jail, he slunk back to the same old neighborhood,
emptyhanded, with nothing to do, no job and no skills, smoking
endlessly and hanging out on the same dilapidated street corner with
the same cast of good-for-nothing hoodlums.  What did you expect to
happen?"

Oops.  Back to reality.  I have seen this re-misalignment happen in
one other circumstance, which is not likely to be the case here in
that Kawai quality control is good, and you would have probably
already noticed it if it were the culprit.  But here it is just in
case:  If the hammer in question is adjacent to the horn or a plate
protrusion such as a low strut, it may in certain instances barely
glance off of the plate, causing realignment. Not likely, but I've
seen it....

Good luck in hunting it down,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh