[pianotech] Miking center pins and broach set

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 05:05:09 PST 2009

Julia,

  I don't. I start with a 19 or 20 and insert into the birdseye by hand. If
the pin slips through I move up to the next size(s). When I can't push the
pin through with my fingers that's my size pin.

Same deal with the reamers. Start small, ream both sides and test the pin
for the right "feel ". (Both sides should have the same friction)  If the
pin feels too tight in the bushing, don't force the issue, just move up one
reamer.

Pin the parts together with the inserter and do the swing test or gram
resistance test. If I have multiple parts to repin I go with this pin-reamer
setup and move right along testing each part for swing as I go.

 How tight, how many swings, how many grams ,on what part and on what piano,
using protek or alc and water for friction and sizing  is a whole treatise
in itself !

 Before the straight reamers came along we used a tapered reamer followed by
a burnishing tool . Consistency was much more difficult and time consuming.
Cheers to   Don Mannino for his reamer kit!

Tom Driscoll RPT

  _____