[pianotech] Dye for CA glue?

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 20:30:05 PST 2009

I'm preparing a piano for our chapter's "Gross Anatomy" session, and would like to find a dye or universal colorant of some kind for CA glue and for nitrocellulose lacquer.  I want to make it easy to see how far CA penetrates the pinblock, and how far lacquer penetrates hammers.

The lacquer will probably take the universal colorants I already use for shellac tinting, but I'm thinking that would probably turn the CA to stone.  I didn't try it yet.

Any chemists in the house?

Thanks,

Greg Graham