[pianotech] Piano Hammer Press

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 17:53:15 PST 2009

I don't think that Schaff has the presses any more.  I asked someone at Schaff about them a year or so ago.  He said that the presses went from Standard Hammer in Des Plaines, Illinois directly to a piano company in China.  They had three or four hammer presses.  I saw them being used a number of times.  Some may have been Dolge presses; they were that old.  Pneumatics had been added to modernize them in Des Plaines.  They weren't the best hammers made, but I really miss having someone making piano hammers twenty minutes from home!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter