[pianotech] Hello, Sunshine!

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 10:20:16 PST 2009

As Ron said, sunlight damages the piano, regardless of the color of the finish. The YC has a poly finish, and even though the finish itself cannot be harmed, the wood underneath will contract and expand, which will crack the poly.

If the piano has to stay in the window, recommend to the customer to get window filters by 3M, or other companies. It is a film that is applied to the window, that allows in light, but removes the ultra violet rays that create heat. It will not only save the piano, but greatly reduce the need for A/C in the summer, and the glare of the sun.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943