[pianotech] Hello, Sunshine!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Feb 11 07:46:39 PST 2009

I agree with Ron.

I'm not sure what "fading" or "yellowing" over time might happen, but I
certainly think it would crackle the finish over the years. But then
again, the insides might be baked by then...

Paul

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/11/2009 08:42 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net, pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Hello, Sunshine!

--------------
> Will sunlight damage a white finish, too?  Or is that the
> only advantage to having a white piano?  Other than boldly
> announcing to the world: "I have no taste in decorating!"

Direct sunlight is, on my scale, the second worst thing you
can let happen to a piano without directly attacking it. Being
subjected to 20°-30°F hot spots as the sun passes across it
daily is tough on it structurally as localized heat induced
dimensional changes cycle. It's less a problem in a closed lid
covered with protective shawls and photographs than directly
on the soundboard under an open lid, but it's still hard on
them. Keep the direct (not ambient) sun off of the piano for
the sake of what instrument may happen to be inside the
furniture, and the furniture will get the same benefit.

My opinion,
Ron N