[pianotech] Hello, Sunshine!

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 21:52:59 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM, <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> As Ron said, sunlight damages the piano, regardless of the color of the
> finish. The YC has a poly finish, and even though the finish itself cannot
> be harmed, the wood underneath will contract and expand, which will crack
> the poly.
>
> If the piano has to stay in the window, recommend to the customer to get
> window filters by 3M, or other companies. It is a film that is applied to
> the window, that allows in light, but removes the ultra violet rays that
> create heat. It will not only save the piano, but greatly reduce the need
> for A/C in the summer, and the glare of the sun.
>
> Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician
> Mililani, Oahu, HI
> 808-349-2943
> Author of:
> The Business of Piano Tuning
> available from Potter Press
> www.pianotuning.com

I'm not all that sold on these filters or films on window glass that filter
out the UV rays. We aren't as concerned about the finish or injuring the
"eyes" of the piano, it's the heat generated by the good 'ol sun beating
through one or two or three layers of glass onto that piano.
White, brown, black or one of Baldwin's leopard spotted one's IMHO it's
still the heat/cooling cycle that will kill it! DAMHIK

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404