[pianotech] Plugging a pinblock

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Feb 10 03:39:53 PST 2009

Clark Sprague wrote:
> Hi, all.  I am wondering if anyone who has plugged a pinblock will chime
> in on this.  I looked at the proposed victim today, and wondered about
> this question:  should I use a mixture of 3/8 and 1/2 inch plugs?   The
> low tenor, especially, seems that if you used 1/2 inch plugs, there
> would be places where the glue lines would intersect with where the
> adjacent tuning pin would go, or at least very close.  Does this make
> any difference?

Yes, 1/2" plugs will overlap. The plugs, when all inserted, will
interlock.

No, it's no problem. In fact, the interlocking may be an advantage if
there is a possible problem with getting a 360° glue joint.

This is part of the bi-chord bass section of a 1922 Krakauer. The
original tuning pin holes couldn't even be drilled out to 1/2" w/o
drilling into the next.

...and, no, that is not a trick shot. Some of them DO extend past the
edge of the pin block. Yes, it was fun drilling those bi-chords. I felt
that I had to favor the back of the hole and lessen the angle in that
and part of the lower tenor section to avoid future side blowout,[like I
found with the original] but it is currently being pounded on in a
practice room and holding pitch quite well.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT