[pianotech] Damper Wire Polishing

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 20:02:19 PST 2009

We did an experiment several years ago, polishing damper wires with three
different polishes (Noxxon, Flitz, and Wenol), and under the microscope, the
differences were radical. Virtually no striations with the Flitz, and  more with
the Wenol, and finally much more with the Noxxon. Quite visible.  And we also
use old hammer felt for the same purpose. Actually, if you get one  of those
old Schaff items, the rubber tipped thingies for "polishing tuning  pins",
throw away the rubber thingies, put a sharp bevel edge on the steel part  that
chucks into the drill (just chuck it into a drill and hold a file against  the
turning edge), then use the sharp edge to cut cylinders of hammer felt,  drill
a hole in the center, use contact cement to hold the felt in the  steel, et
voila, instant key pin polishing tool. Nifty. You  need to get hammer tailings
that allow you to drill out the cylinders from the  side to get the length for
the balance rail pins. And when changing out the  felt, you need to clean up
the cement a bit with solvent. Works like a  charm.

Paul

In a message dated 2/9/2009 6:59:21 P.M. Central Standard Time,