[pianotech] Samick (grand) bass damper rail issues?

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:49:03 PST 2009

I was doing some post-sale work on a brand new Samick grand today.
The owner had complained about "ringing" and "buzzing".

I turns out the bass damper rail is so far misaligned (to the right) that
the
a few of the bass damper wires were actually dragging on the bass strings
on the way back down.

Not just buzzing- actually rubbing on non-vibrating bi-chord strings.

Have you ever come across other Samick damper rails misplaced this badly?

How does something like that even leave the factory?

They don't seem to have enough wiggle room to be shoved over and
re-tightened.
Will I have enlarge hole in the rail and add a washer?

[kurt]