[pianotech] Samick (grand) bass damper rail issues?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Feb 3 06:15:39 PST 2009

Is it on all the dampers?  You could shift the whole guide rail a smidge
to the left.  You'd have to plug the screw holes into the soundboard,
re-locate and drill new ones.  Warranty work, I imagine.

Paul

kurt baxter <fortefile at gmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/02/2009 11:49 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[pianotech] Samick (grand) bass damper rail issues?

I was doing some post-sale work on a brand new Samick grand today.
The owner had complained about "ringing" and "buzzing".

I turns out the bass damper rail is so far misaligned (to the right) that
the
a few of the bass damper wires were actually dragging on the bass strings
on the way back down.

Not just buzzing- actually rubbing on non-vibrating bi-chord strings.

Have you ever come across other Samick damper rails misplaced this badly?

How does something like that even leave the factory?

They don't seem to have enough wiggle room to be shoved over and
re-tightened.
Will I have enlarge hole in the rail and add a washer?

[kurt]