[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 4, Issue 20

Alan Forsyth forsyth93 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 3 11:59:27 PST 2009

I have on record an H Matz (Berlin) no. 14220, overstrung and overdampered with a half 3 section frame (open pinblock) which I dated as 1890/1895 judging from the casework and floral decorations on the frame. Although the piano was beautiful to look at (in the eyes of the beholder of course), it was scrapped as it did not respond to either dope or CA. Even though the pins felt tight, the piano wouldn't hold tune. I suspected at the time that the pinblock was probably rocking or tilting forward on account of lack of support from a full frame. Below is the tuning history; the pinblock was treated on 17.07.2001.

15.02.2000, 403.7
03.03.2001, 396.4
18.07.2001, 440.0
29.11.2001, 435.1
29.11.2001, 440.0
06.05.2002, 433.1

My guess is that your piano was built around 1880.
Why the aversion to overdampers; those old German ones of that era are quite good. Learn to tune with Papps wedges and without a muting strip  and they're a piece of cake. As Joe Garrett would sayl "you gotta be a man to tune an overdamper".

Hope this helps.

AF

PS this is not a museum piece; there are still thousands of that type piano still going strong in the olde worlde.