[pianotech] semantics? - was PR follow up

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Sat Aug 29 07:42:12 MDT 2009

Sometimes the observations of a newbie can be helpful - sometimes not,
so here goes

Paul seems interested with the intent of Wim's (I think) use of the
words "fine" and "adequate" in the same conversation with "pitch raise"
and "fine tuning". While I can't find the original posts, I do recall
that I took "fine tuning" to be in contrast to "coarse" tuning, (a pitch
raise obviously being coarse.) In the context in which these words were
used, I personally took "fine tuning"  to mean that the technician
leaves the piano quite pleasantly playable, vastly more so than when
he/she found it, and certainly "adequate" or "fine" considering the
client's expectations. I also perceive that many excellent technicians,
perhaps including Paul, may have a narrower definition of "fine tuning"
unbound by context, which refers to the quality of the finished tuning
expected for a concert/artist instrument, whether it is such an
instrument or not.

I'm fairly new to the business. As such, very nearly every piano I tune
requires a really nasty pitch raise, and quite a few pianos are worse
than 75 cents. I perform a single pitch-raise pass using TuneLab and
then a "fine tuning" pass. I always explain to the client that while I
will leave the piano considerably improved (I use words like "quite
playable" and "more enjoyable"), I am confident their piano will benefit
much from regular tunings. I list the benefits. I am satisfied that I
have "pitch-raised" and "fine-tuned" in one sitting and that my "fine
tuning" is more than "adequate" to satisfy my client's expectations. To
date, my return visits generally indicate that my previous tunings were
in fact "adequate", meaning the piano, while not up to my personal
tuning standards, was still "playable" and "enjoyable" for my client,
is still at-pitch and is ready for another "fine tuning".

thank you all for your relentless back-and-forth posts - be assured that
I and many other greenhorns are gaining a valuable education from it

Phil