[pianotech] Clarification Question: i'll take a pass

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Aug 25 12:15:58 MDT 2009

Hi Bill - Your questioning is so direct and polite, and being that
Paul is on vacation, I'll stick my neck out and throw some answers
your way. Please keep in mind that these answers/comments are are my
own, and do not necessarily reflect Paul's thinking in any way (if
they are bad, it's my fault, not Paul's!).

> I know  it's possible to raise the pitch & fine tuning in one visit.
> However,  just because you CAN do it doesn't mean that you SHOULD
> do  it.
> I personally disagree with this sentiment as a generalization. It's
> possible to raise the pitch and adequately tune the piano in one
> sitting  if the
> raise is not ridiculously excessive.
>
> >>  What's the ballpark -xx cents number you're talking about being
> "ridiculously excessive"?

I think the statement is only trying to distinguish between making
several appointments to slowly pull the piano up to standard pitch and
getting it up there in one sitting. I certainly agree with the
statement.

The statement goes further and addresses tuning the same day after a
pitch raise. A five or ten cent pitch raise would certainly qualify
for "not ridiculously excessive". A 100+-cent pitch raise would likely
qualify for ridiculously excessive in anyone's book. Somewhere in
between lies a grey area.

> Concert work often calls for the latter. Johnny's home piano is
> typical of the former. And if
> Johnny is any good, plan on coming back in a month or so to do a
> more than
> adequate tuning. Radically flat pianos won't really stabilize for
> several tunings.
>
> >>  What negative cents numbers are "radical", that would need
> "several tunings"... over what period of time?
>
> >>  Maybe one final question...   could you provide a
> differentiation of "adequate" and "fine tune"... either in "cents"
> or some other quantitative answer (aka stability over time, or
> whatever)

Your question addresses the aforementioned grey area. I really can't
give you any definitive cents value either. You'll have to find that
on your own from your own experience. At the one end of the spectrum,
a concert pianist will likely not be happy with anyone's tuning a day
or two after a 25-cent pitch raise followed immediately with a tuning.
However, "Johnny", the beginner will likely be happy with his piano a
month after a 60-cents pitch raise followed by a tuning the same day.

Some of this has to do with the piano itself.

I don't worry about putting any absolute numbers on anything in this
arena. I simply tell the piano owner that we did a large pitch raise
and that the piano will not be as stable (tuning won't last as long)
as had the piano been tuned on a regular basis for the past few years.
I tell them that they may notice the piano going out of tune sooner
than it would have otherwise and they may wish to tune again earlier
than otherwise. And I just let it go at that. If the piano player was
skilled, I may state these ideas a bit more directly and say something
like "you will LIKELY notice the tuning wandering in the coming weeks
and you may wish to tune it again soon." But that's about as specific
as I would get - and I think as specific as anyone would want to get.

Find a neglected piano that you have some sort of regular access to,
do a big pitch raise, and then monitor how the tuning deteriorates
over time. It's going to be a combination of the piano, it's
environment, the pianist, the time span, the pianist's ear, the
pianist's wallet, how big the pitch raise was, etc., etc. Too many
variables to nail it down much more than that.

Hope this helps. Blame me if I steered you wrong.....  :-0

Terry Farrell

PS: And Paul - if you have anything REALLY nasty to say to me, please
send it privately!  ;-)