Bluthner Patent Action

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Sep 26 17:58:57 MDT 2008

All in all a nice job of translating the German to an English that makes
quite a bit more sense then the thing floating around. Nice job by John
Delcour with a bit of back and forthing with Jürgen. As far as the
damper stop rail adjustment is concerned... seems to me that one only
needs again to look at the basics of any action design to decipher this.
As with the any action the ratio of the sharp key will be slightly
different then that of the longer white keys.... I dont recall any
action in production that really got around this difference.
Essentially the damper system in the Bluthner needs conceptually to be
adjusted like any Erard / Herz action.

Still... this is all very basic directions. Hardly a full description of
how the Bluthner Patent Action ticks.  Just so.... its a darned football
field sized bit better then the embarrassingly nonsensical directions
posted on official, semi official and other sites all over the nett.
With just a bit of work on the wording this corrected translation should
be adapted by at least the official sites without further delay. What
they have now is just .... well ridiculous.

Well done John
RicB